IGNITe/400 Mailing List Archive Entry

I use Net.Data for about 98% of my web sites. The other 2% is actually
calls to RPG programs. Net.Data is easy to learn, can incorporate html
generated by any tool (like frontpage), and gets the job done fast.

JAVA Servlets would be great if you can figure out how to develop and deploy
them. At IGNITe/400 we put up the Cybotics search engine which is Java
Servlet based and it runs great. Developing servlets to run under WebSphere
is a completely different issue. You need a great deal of JAVA expertise,
must understand and be able to write Java Beans, and then you must
understand servlets and finally you have to figure out how to configure and
administer Websphere. There are millions of words on the Internet
describing all of this, but none that I have found that will put the whole
thing together

I've read several IBM manuals and redbooks, heck, I've even taken the MndQ
tutorial that comes with VA for Java and read a horrid book (given away by
IBM) written by two clowns in Toronto from some idiotic company called HSA.
These folks wrote a JAVA class library (which IBM did not enclose with the
book) and claim that using their classes are the only way to write JAVA

If anyone can write a JAVA book that a) teaches you have to use the JAVA
language, b) provides you meaningful sample code (not calculus to calculate
parts of circle or a useless todo list), c) explains Java Beans, d) explains
servlets, and finally e) explains how to deploy Servlets on the AS/400 using
WebSphere, then A) I'd buy it, and B) I'd get very serious about WebSphere
and Servlets.

IBM is falling all over its sword in the JAVA arena! So much meaningless
marketing drivel gets pushed into every piece of printed or Internet writing
that they publish, you can't understand what they are saying.

Oooops, I'm afraid I got on my soap box. Your quite correct that JAVA
servlets are a good way to go. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to get
there! Beware of IBM professional services folks claiming to be WebSphere
or Java Servlet experts! They haven't built any either and you will be
triaining these folks at your expense.

Bob C.

-----Original Message-----
ign_list@ignite400.org [mailto:ign_list@ignite400.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 8:59 AM
How to develop a website using the AS/400 database?

Schluter R.J.

Our site runs on the I/NET Commerce Server, and we are examining ways to
incorporate data from our AS/400 with our website. As I see it, we have two
kinds of applications where data on te AS/400 is used:

1. In static HTML pages which contain a small amount of information from the

To make changes to the HTML page possible by another departement I would
like to be able to use a tool like FrontPage. At the moment I think Server
Side Includes are the best solution to put the dynamic data in the pages.

2. Complete applications, where the complete pages are created from

I have created a small demo application that uses COBOL CGI programs, and
has the HTML stored inside a message file, so I can keep text outside the
program, and combine it easily with the data.
Other options I'm currently looking at are Net.Data or some 4gl tools like
COOL:Plex or Lansa for the Web, but what about Java servlets?

Anyone with other ideas for tools to use, suggestions about techniques, or
experiences with these kinds of development?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Schluter

To unsubscribe from this great list send an email to
ign_list@ignite400.org with unsubscribe as the subject.

Posted by  Subject  Date 

Return to the Mailing List Archive Page
Click to return to home page
© Copyright 1999 by IGNITe/400
This page last updated Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:41:00